Tofu kimchi burger
No joke, this burger is life-changing. The combination of spicy tangy kimchi, dependable fried tofu, caramelised onion and creamy garlic basil mayo is all you need.
- Appromixately 150 grams of tofu per person, cut into slices 1-2 cm thick
- Hamburger buns or good bread
- Kimchi (easy and quick to make at home; I made mine using this recipe: http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2013/01/fabulous-fermentation-week-kimchi/)
- One large white onion, thinly sliced
- Sea salt
- Cold-pressed safflower or sunflower oil, for frying the tofu
- One large beef tomato, sliced
- Shredded lettuce
- Fry the sliced onion at high heat in a little oil until it starts to soften - then turn the heat down, add a pinch of sea salt, and leave to caramelise, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick frying pan at medium-high heat, and add the tofu slices so they lie flat (ideally not touching so they don't stick to each other). Cook until the underside of the tofu is crisp and golden, then flip the pieces, lying them flat again until the other side is crisped.
- Time to assemble the burger - generous tablespoon of your preferred condiments on each piece of bread and then stack the lettuce, tofu, kimchi, tomato and onion. Sooooo good.