No-sugar vegan tarte tartin
Apple desserts are my favorite. This one is so super sweet, you won't miss the sugar for a moment.
- 6 small apples, cored, peeled and cut into 16 pieces each
- ¼ cup of cold-pressed corn, safflower or sunflower oil (corn oil will give a sweeter result)
- ½ cup of brown rice malt
- ⅛ cup of apple juice concentrate
- a pinch each of sea salt and ground cinnamon
- 1 tblsp vanilla essence
- 350 gram packet of ready-rolled puff pastry (look for a vegan and sugar-free brand)
- Preheat the oven to 190.
- Combine the oil, rice malt, apple juice concentrate, sea salt and cinnamon in an ovenproof pan, and put over a low heat. After around 5-10 minutes, the mixture will start to thicken and bubble, taking the consistency of toffee. Stir the apples in and cook until they just start to soften. Stir the vanilla in, and take off the heat.
- Arrange the apple pieces in the pan so they lie flat (use a wooden spoon to avoid burning your fingers), and lay the pastry over the top of the apples, tucking in the sides.
- Put into the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until the crust is golden.
- While still hot (before the sauce cools down), place your serving dish on top of your pan, cover both forearms with tea towels (for protection, in case of spillage), and then quickly turn the pan upside down and onto the serving dish. Gently tap the bottom of the pan and voilà! your tarte tatin is served.
- Serve with coconut milk or cream.
Leave a Reply